Customer Feedback 101
Seeing Your Business Through the Eyes of the Customer
Shep Hyken interviews Jeff Robbins. They discuss the importance of customer feedback, the most effective surveys, and how to use these tools to create customer loyalty and improve your business.
In Shep’s Opening Monologue…
He discusses the best way to get customer feedback.
The Interview with Jeff Robbins:
- Customers are better informed about both products and services than ever before thanks to the immediate availability of the internet.
- Businesses need to check their online reviews often—at minimum, once a day. Negative reviews should be handled immediately. Ideally, positive reviews should also be responded to, as this shows customer appreciation.
- Make it simple and easy for customers to give feedback on your business. Remind them after the service is completed and enable them to leave feedback.
- As a general rule, surveys should be sent out to customers within 24 hours of their experience. This will vary by industry; test different intervals to see what nets you the highest response rate.
- Keep surveys short and simple. People have less time to complete long questionnaires. A good format to consider is a single “yes or no” or an NPS or CSAT type of question followed by one open-ended follow up question.
- Creating customer loyalty isn’t just about having a good product or a low price; it’s about creating a good customer experience. The experience can be what differentiates your business from others and keeps customers coming back time and time again.
- Solicit feedback from customers in a way that makes them feel like you genuinely care about what they have to say. Their opinion matters; use it to ensure that your business goals align with the customer experience.
“It doesn’t matter how good you think the customer service is that you’re providing; it’s what’s perceived by your customers that counts.” – Jeff Robbins
“The customer is ultimately the judge and jury on the experience that you provide.” – Jeff Robbins
“The customer has the most important perspective on your business.” – Jeff Robbins
Jeff Robbins is the Founder and Managing Director of Database Sciences and GuestInsight. He has over 30 years of experience in the marketing research and data management and analysis fields.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- How do you create customer loyalty?
- What’s the best survey question?
- How can I get more customer feedback?
- What should I do with a bad online review?
- How can I make my business stand out?