How can you improve both customer and employee satisfaction? By getting customers to provide feedback on individual employee service performance.
Shep Hyken interviews Kevin Berk, creator of a new customer rating platform called ServiceGuru, about how using services like these can improve your company revenues.
Shep Hyken begins his opening comments by asking, “How much does bad service cost your business?” and “What is the value of a customer who leaves you?” If you multiply the value of a customer by the number of customers who leave you, you have a good estimate of what losing those customers cost you.
Now, not all customers leave because of poor customer service. Some of them leave for reasons beyond your control. Sure, new customers can help negate some of the effects of lost customers, but not only do you lose the business of unhappy customers, you also lose when those customers share their negative feedback with everybody else.
Shep begins his interview with Kevin J. Berk, Founder and CEO of ServiceGuru, by discussing some customer service statistics. According to studies by Bain & Company, 80% of businesses believe that they are delivering superior customer service, but only 8% of customers agree. $62 billion is the amount of business companies lost last year as a result of bad customer service. That’s up 50% from two years before. The laggards simply aren’t keeping up with the companies that are doing it right.
Kevin asserts that great service is paramount to the success of any business. Since it is six to seven times more expensive to attract a new customer than to keep an existing customer, it makes sense to invest in the customer service experience and to make sure that we are meeting, if not exceeding the customer’s expectations.
One way to find out if the company is meeting their customers’ expectations is through online reviews. However, Kevin states that when it comes to leaving reviews about the service customers receive, most people don’t leave reviews because they don’t think anyone is listening. They don’t think that anybody cares. They don’t think it will make a difference. But, Kevin explains why ServiceGuru, his new and revolutionary platform, does make a difference.
Instead of a customer reviewing the company, ServiceGuru allows the customer to review the employee who delivered the service. Not only is this valuable feedback for the company, but the employee sees a system dedicated to tracking, measuring, and improving customer service by reviewing the employee who is delivering the service – not the company. There is a big difference, and the responses from the customers are overwhelmingly positive.
- Companies spend $80 billion to $90 billion each year on marketing, but only $8 billion annually on customer service.
- How much can bad customer service cost your business? It could cost you your business.
- Only one out of every 26 customers who has a complaint will let you know. Instead, they will tell everybody else.
- The best marketing you can have involves your customer walking out the door after an amazing experience, talking about you with everyone else.
- The number one component of employee job satisfaction is recognition.
- Customer feedback on employees can be even stronger than feedback on the company.
Kevin J. Berk, the Founder & CEO of ServiceGuru, has been involved in startup organizations for over 25 years. He is focused on the success of ServiceGuru, which can allow you to improve customer service and increase repeat visits to your business. You can collect service feedback from your customers and use the Service Guru platform to drive repeat visits and increase revenue.
“’Fine’ is the four-letter word of customer service that I don’t ever want to hear.” – Kevin Berk
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- How much is poor customer service costing companies?
- Why don’t customers leave feedback?
- What is ServiceGuru?
- Why was ServiceGuru built and what impact is it making?
- Why is providing great customer service so important?
- How can I get more customer reviews?