Nicky Billou on How to Think and Win Like a Champion
How would you like to know how to build your own personal brand to become a thought leader in your industry?
Shep Hyken interviews Nicky Billou, internationally best-selling author of Finish Line Thinking: How to Think and Win Like a Champion.
Shep Hyken’s opening comments focus on how thought leadership applies to everyone. He explains how managers and individuals can be thought of as an expert in their company and industry. This ties into Shep’s concept that when it comes to customer service, everyone can be a leader.
Shep begins the interview by asking Nicky Billou about his definition of a thought leader and how everyone could be considered the “go-to” person or expert in their company. Shep then introduces why getting your customers and coworkers to trust you is an important part of building your personal brand and for being known as an expert. They discuss how everyone has an opportunity to be considered a thought leader by knowing the answers; or if you don’t know, knowing where to find the answers.
- Anyone can be a thought leader. Thought leadership is not just for authors or speakers, everyone can be known for their expertise within their area of genius – especially in customer service and support.
- Create champions. – As a manager, you need to find those champions and nurture them to become the experts you know they can be. You can help bring out the best in your people.
- The Four Phases of being a thought leader.
- Wannabe Phase – This person has not yet figured out what their expertise is.
- Unconscious Expert – They intuitively know they have some level of expertise, but they aren’t quite clear on it yet.
- Conscious Expert – You know you have expertise and you are actively applying it.
- Known – This is the final stage where you are known as an expert/thought leader.
- Build your personal brand. – You need to find your area of expertise and create a LinkedIn profile. Everyone has a brand – you should consciously create your own brand.
- Your customers are the only people who can tell you what your brand is. You not only need to create your own brand you need to also ensure what your customer’s perception of you is. At any given time, anybody in your organization that is dependent upon you for anything is also your customer.
Nicky Billou is Cofounder of eCircle Academy, Cohost of The Business of Thought Leadership Podcast, and #1 International Best-selling Author of Finish Line Thinking: How To Think & Win Like A Champion.
“People have to trust you, and trust that what you have to say is meaningful and relevant and helps them with the problems they need help with.” – Nicky Billou
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- How can I become a thought leader?
- How can I build my personal brand?
- Who can be considered a thought leader?
- How can I win like a champion?