The Business of Emotion
Striking a Balance Between Technology and Human Connection
Shep Hyken interviews Rebecca Martin. They discuss the role of technology in customer service, how emotion can drive customer loyalty, and how marketers and contact center workers can help each other in building the ideal customer journey.
In Shep’s Opening Monologue…
He gives advice on how to create an amazing customer experience. His number one suggestion (right now) is to start with the culture of the company and the employee experience.
The Interview with Rebecca Martin:
- Companies want to insert emotion into the customer experience. Emotion, or human connection, is what drives customer loyalty.
- There needs to be a balance between technology and human connection. Too much reliance on technology can make customers feel displaced.
- Chatbots and similar technologies are not replacing call center agents. By handling first-level calls, they are elevating the role of agents. This creates more of a career path within contact centers.
- There is a higher call volume with more difficult problems reaching contact center agents. Companies need to reflect this change with improved training for their agents, so they can effectively and efficiently handle more difficult calls.
- The phone is not dead in the support/contact center; it is simply used for different purposes.
- The top three things that drive customer loyalty are quality products, action from the company in response to a complaint, and ease and efficiency of contacting the company. However, if the last two aren’t in place, customers will take their business elsewhere – even if the product is good.
“There’s a time and a place for digital interaction. There is always a place for human interaction.” – Rebecca Martin
“To stay ahead, companies need to figure out how to turn data into action.” – Rebecca Martin
“Be data-driven and action-oriented.” – Rebecca Martin
Rebecca Martin is the Chief Marketing Officer at Calabrio, a customer engagement analytics software company. She has nearly 20 years of experience in the emerging technology industry.
Shep Hyken is a customer service and experience expert, New York Times bestselling author, award-winning keynote speaker, and your host of Amazing Business Radio.
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- What is the first step to delivering an amazing customer experience?
- What are companies looking to change in how they do customer service?
- What role does technology have in customer service?
- How can marketers and contact centers work together?
- What drives customer loyalty?