Be a Cut Above the Rest
Shep Hyken Interviews Steve Hockett, President of Great Clips
Wouldn’t you like to learn a few tips from a company that sees over 35 million customers a year?
Shep and Steve Hockett, President of Great Clips, discuss the importance of knowing your customers and delivering a consistently amazing customer service experience.
Shep Hyken interviews Steve Hockett, the President of Great Clips. Steve shares how roughly 35 million customers’ information each year are put into a database, so that each and every time they return, the salon knows exactly how to best serve them individually. As President of Great Clips, Inc, Steve preaches the importance of consistency on every level so that every customer has a predictably amazing experience.
- There is much we can learn from the Great Clips Approach: customers are coming primarily as customers of a Great Clips salon, not to a specific stylist. The Great Clips experience is about the brand, not an individual that works there.
- Great Clips knows their customers, when they last came in for a haircut, and when they need to come back for the next one. They understand what the customers want and what’s important to them.
- The Great Clips Five Steps to Customer Care:
- 1. Greet the customer when they come in, with eye contact.
- 2. The consultation – ask the customer what they want.
- 3. Create the cut, and talk product.
- 4. The confirmation – make sure they are happy.
- 5. Thank the customer and invite them to come back.
- Great Clips is hyper-focused on what they do best. They cut hair. They don’t do manicures, pedicures, or massages. They offer quick, efficient, high quality, moderate price haircuts, and are able to repeat that experience every time.
- Great Clips is using technology to connect with their customers. They call it Clip Notes… notes about each customer’s specific details. What clipper guard number was used , what kind of neckline, etc. It’s all stored in the cloud. So, when a customer comes to Great Clips, if they’ve ever been there before, no matter the location, all the details of the previous haircut show up. Also in the Clip Notes are personal details of the client… did this customer just get married, or recently go on vacation…? That all helps build rapport.
- The power of managing the wait time is given to the customer. The Great Clips app allows their customers to know exactly how long the wait time is so that they can avoid the busiest times.
- Great Clips knows it can’t be all things to all people. It’s about simplicity and staying in their lane.
Steve Hockett is President of Great Clips, Inc, soon to be CEO beginning in January 2018. Steve began his career with Great Clips, Inc. in 1988 and has spent 20 years with Great Clips in three separate segments, serving in various positions starting as a franchise owner. During his experience, he has worked extensively in marketing and operations, and was heavily involved in the massive growth of the system from 150 units to now over 4,200 operating salons in the United States.
“We want more customers to come in. We’re not focused on more dollars per customer.” – Steve Hockett
This episode of Amazing Business Radio with Shep Hyken answers the following questions … and more:
- How can I know my customers better?
- How do I understand customers better?
- How can I create consistency?
- How do I make a good impression with customers?
- Do I greet and thank my customers every single time?
- How can I use technology to generate more business?